HTC Extraction Systems (TSX.V: HTC)
HTC Extraction Systems (TSX.V: HTC) has developed and optimized proprietary technologies designed for biomass extraction, distillation and purification of ethanol and ethanol-based solvents used for the hemp biomass and cannabidiol ("CBD") industry, as well as gas and liquid extraction. HTC's extraction & purification systems are engineered to large-scale to reduce capital and operating costs while delivering superior performance measured by reduced energy usage, lowered emissions and improved quality of the product produced.
Advanced Extraction Technologies
For more than 14 years, HTC has developed and optimized proprietary technology and purification systems used for biomass, gas and liquid extraction. These technologies include:
- LCDesign® – Low-cost design for modular gas, liquid and biomass extraction systems optimizes plant design, thus reducing capital and operating costs.
- PDOEngine™ – Software-based design algorithms accurately model and simulate gas, liquid and biomass extraction processing.
- Delta Solvents™ – Custom-designed, ethanol-based solvent mixtures and additives that optimize production and reduce costs. Technology development is being conducted at HTC's sponsored research facilities at the University of Calgary.
Delta Purification® Technology
HTC's patented Delta Purification® technology will purify, recycle and reuse the extraction ethanol used in the CBD extraction process while managing and reducing any CBD waste losses through the re-extraction of all wastes collected from the purified ethanol. Current and new technologies include:
- Delta CBD Reclaiming System: Reclaiming and purifying ethanol for use in CBD extraction from biomass. Reduces required heat to prevent damage of the chemical attributes of the CBD molecule, allowing extracted CBD to meet food-grade targets for human consumption.
- Delta Solvent Reclaiming System: Reclaiming and purifying ethanol-based solvents, such as single, mixed and formulated amines, for use in natural gas processing and post-combustion CO2 capturing processes.
- Delta Glycol Reclaiming System: Reclaiming and purifying glycols, such as mono-ethylene glycol and tri-ethylene glycol for use in natural gas dehydration processes.
Hemp Biomass and Tolling Contracts
HTC has entered into a hemp biomass tolling agreement for the 2019 crop year involving a supply of hemp biomass from a hemp grower in Saskatchewan, Canada. The hemp grower utilizes five varieties of Health Canada-approved cultivars as the genetic foundation. HTC will process and extract CBD FSO distillate from the hemp biomass. As a tolling fee payment, HTC will receive a percentage of the extracted CBD FSO distillate for its processing, extraction, purification and distillation services.
Additional hemp biomass tolling contracts with producers and hemp biomass providers are being negotiated in the U.S. for the 2020 hemp crop growing year. HTC will provide "local-to-grower" drying-to-biomass storage capability and transportation of dried biomass to an HTC, location to be determined, future US based, extraction facility. HTC is also in negotiation with a 60,000-acre, recognized Canadian farm leader, who is a significant hemp biomass producer, for a similar hemp biomass tolling contract.
Large users of ethanol and solvents for plant oil extraction demand reduced capital and operating costs. HTC's re3™ (reclaim, recycle, reuse) technology can save up to 30% of the required fluid costs. The increasing cost of new extraction ethanol, combined with the cost of used ethanol disposal, creates a unique opportunity whereby the re3™ technology will create cost savings, while meeting environmental responsibilities.
The growth of ethanol and CO2 used in CBD production has created a new demand for reliable commercial scale ethanol reclaimer systems. The Delta Purification® ethanol system meets this new demand.
Sales and Offtake Agreements
HTC intends to leverage its relationship with its related entity, Purely Canada Foods™, to provide sales and distribution for its Ingredient CBD market under the brand of Purely Canada Hemp™, Purely Canada CBD™, Purely Canada Cannabinoids™. Purely Canada Hemp™ will develop risk managed multi-year ingredient supply contracts with its existing and new Global Food, Beverage and Animal Food Industry Customers.
HTC has focused the Canadian implementation of its BOOM (build, own, operate and maintain) extraction tolling strategy on a location near Regina, Saskatchewan. HTC is currently constructing a 19,000-square-foot GMP Euro compliant extraction tolling facility on six acres of land that will include biomass processing, extraction, implementation of DeltaSolv™ technologies and Delta Purification® systems, distillate and refining equipment, laboratory quality control and testing operations, and on-site office and admin facilities.
Chairman, CEO and Director Lionel Kambeitz is a recognized professional in business development and international business relations. He has played a founding role in many other Canadian and U.S.-based companies. Kambeitz has executive experience in a variety of industries including energy, agriculture, food production engineering, and manufacturing.
Jeff Allison, Senior Vice President, Chief Financial Officer and Director, has over 20 years of experience in corporate finance and business development. Prior to joining HTC in 2005, Allison as Vice President assisted with the founding and setup of CUCORP Financial Services in Saskatchewan.